Heading into the holiday season, many people will be on the road traveling to visit with friends and family. It is our wish at the police department that drivers and their families reach their destination and return home safely. Our sincere hope is that you and yours are able to celebrate the joy of the season, rather than enduring the grief associated with traffic accidents.
During 2010 and 2011, your police department recorded an average of 147 traffic collisions within the city limits of Florence between the dates of November 20 thru January 2nd each year. Among those, the majority of the wrecks only involved property damage. However others involved personal injury, which is why the Florence Police Department wants to remind all drivers to obey all traffic laws when driving.
In an effort to reduce the number of traffic accidents this holiday season, your Police Department is asking drivers to follow a couple of simple driving rules:
- Pay close attention
- Require everyone in your vehicle to use seatbelts
- Do not text and drive
- Make plans for a safe trip home before consuming alcoholic beverages
- Call a friend or taxi rather than drink or drive
- Slow down and obey all traffic laws
- Enjoy the holiday season
Also, no one wants to return home from visiting grandma’s house to find their home has been burglarized. So before you head out for the long weekend, take a few additional steps to protect your property:
- Lock all of your doors and deadbolts
- Leave a light or two burning
- Turn on a radio and turn it up loud enough to be heard by the front or back door
- Utilize timers to turn lights on or off
- Have neighbors collect your mail and newspapers
- Ask a close friend to check on your home while you’re away
Your Florence Police Department does hope this holiday season brings you joy and allows you to renew bonds between families and old friends. Please drive safely and take a few extra steps to secure your home. But as always, officers from the police department will be patrolling your streets throughout the holiday season. If you need us for anything, don’t hesitate to call 911 for all emergencies, or 256-760-6500 for general information. We are here to help when you need us most.
From my family to yours, Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!.
Chief of Police
Florence Police Department